My dear Soggy,
"In like a lion, and out like a lamb"... isn't that what they say about March? Unfortunately that other old adage regarding spring weather - "April showers bring May flowers" doesn't bode well either for drying out anytime soon. Rainy weather can be especially wretched in NYC, where cabs seem to vanish the moment you need them the most, leaving you stranded and soaked in the middle of an avenue. But even New Yorkers can't fight nature, so if you can't beat ‘em - join ‘em! Try some of these wet weather styling tips that'll have you praying for Mother Nature to rain on your parade...
[Mossimo® Captains Hat $9.99, 'I love rain' umbrella $16, Sperry Top-Sider Sadie boot $50, Hunter Boot Tall Welly Boot green $115, Hunter Boot Tall Welly Boot yellow $125, Cole Haan Tantivy Rainboot $148, Tory Burch Logo Rainboot $150 $75, Zara Double breasted raincoat $90, ASOS Hitch Hem Coat $72, Shipley & Halmos Flouncy Jumper $355, Tibi Basketweave cotton-blend A-line dress $355 ]
1. Rain Boots will change your life. Suddenly, you'll go from avoiding puddles to happily hopping right through them. From classic wellies to rubbers disguised as riding boots, there’s a style for everyone.
2. A rain jacket is key. Chanel your inner Katherine Hepburn in a classic khaki trench, or choose something in a bright hue to chase away those rainy day blues.
3. Go for tights or leggings, which will tuck easily into your boots and won't get stretched out or wrinkle if they get wet.
4. Then choose a jumper, a mini dress or a long tunic top. Just because the weather sucks, doesn't mean your outfit has to.
5. Even if you somehow manage to keep your hair dry, the humidity in the air will guarantee frizz and/or flatness. Avoid humiliation with a jaunty cap, or twist your hair up into a top-knot.
As a stylist, our Fashion Correspondent, Natalie Decleve is constantly inundated with fashion questions from friends and fans. You know – the really tough stuff like: WHO makes the best skinny jeans? WHERE can I shop for good vintage? WHAT the heck are dhoti pants?!
Now on Guest of a Guest, ASK NATTY offers the opportunity to get your trickiest fashion puzzles ANSWERED!