The reincarnation of Studio 54, Jay-Z hits up the 40/40 Club, Red Egg got raided, Debbie Harry hosts a party, the Giants get rowdy, Super Linda's opening and much more in today's Nightlife News Round Up!
1. Studio 54 is back? Well, not quite. The crazy days of sex, drugs and disco at the legendary seventies hot spot in New York City are behind us. However, the popular spot is about to become reincarnated with the opening of 54 Below, which is to be located downstairs from the former club. Beginning in June, 54 Below will open it's doors with a two week long celebration hosted by Patti LuPone, with restauranteur Danny Meyer advising the menu. [NYNightLife] [NYT]
2. Jay-Z is hitting up 40/40 again tonight. Like last night, Jay-Z will be performing at Carnegie Hall to benefit his Sean Carter Scholarship Foundation along with United Way of New York City. Fans were given the opportunity to bid in an auction for the chance to attend not only the performance itself, but the after party at 40/40 as well. Last night, he performed "Glory", the song he wrote for the birth of his daughter Blue Ivy, for the first time and brought out NAS and Alicia Keys. We're exited to hear about tonight's show.
"The concert is going to be a fun and beautiful experience but, it underscores the story on why we're doing this. These shows will be very important in the difference it will make to children's lives"
3. Chinese restaurant, Red Egg raided by NYPD and was shut down. On Friday, February 3rd, the Red Egg received a not-so-friendly greeting by the NYPD, shutting the place down for the night for reasons that we are not entirely certain of. Travis Bass was the joint's primary entertainer, who made Red Egg a late night hot spot here in New York. [Eater]
4. Debbie Harry hosts Dropout at W.I.P. The legendary Debbie Harry, affectionately known as Blondie will be hosting Dropouts' at W.I.P for fashion week. Fan's are super excited to see the pop legend perform in the intimate setting. [NYNightLife]
5. Victor Cruz is hosting at Kiss & Fly tonight. New York Giants very own Victor Cruz will be hosting tonight, February 7th at Kiss & Fly. Music will be by resident DJ Reach & DJ Nick@Nite. Doors open at 10:30 with free cocktails for the first hour. [Social Superlative] [NYNightLife]
6. Tribeca salutes Latin America tonight, as popular restauranteur and nightlife icon Matt Abramcyk will be opening the doors to his latest venture, Super Linda tomorrow. A bi-level restaurant which will offer brunch, lunch, and dinner, all consisting of Latin America delicacies. Chef John Martinez will be preparing specialty dishes from Uruguay and Argentina. Included will be a bar and subterranean lounge, giving the establishment an overall more club-like, chill vibe. [Eater]
8. Strategic Group is going to open an outpost of club Marquee at the Star Hotel and Casino in Sydney, Australia, on March 30th. The marketing, promotions and special events company who owns Lavo restaurant and nightclub in Las Vegas, as well as Tao restaurant and Avenue lounge in New York City, is expanding. So far, this is Strategic group's first foreign acquisition. [NYPost]
9. Open House, the hidden bar and lounge on Lower East Side has been closed down after a visit from the Department of Health. Apparently, the nightclub located at East Houston Street was not only a place for ladies in furs but also for other furry little guests. The DOH issued 38 violation points, and found not only problems with food storage and plumbing, but also live cockroaches and mice. [Eater]
9. Beer Pong Champion tries to blame accident on bar. A New Jersey man who apparently doesn't get the rules of Beer Pong, tried to sue Wicke Willy's Bar on Bleeker Street after he was run over by a car on his way home. Having a lucky streak at the table, the 22-year old never left the table and kept drinking until wasted. On his way home, he was hit by a car, breaking his hip, leg and foot; tearing his knees and lacerating his liver. The judge, however, ruled in favor of the bar saying that the victim had been drinking voluntarily. [Gothamist]
10. A Bloody Mary Brawl is happening this Sunday at 153 Elizabeth Street from 2-5 PM. For only thirty bucks, watch fifteen different restaurant teams will go head to head for the Drinkers' Choice trophy. Some popular restaurants included in the brawl are going to be Ditch Plains, The Wren and Fatty Crab. Food will be contributed by each restaurant. [Eater]