Provocateur co-owner Michael Satsky is facing a lawsuit, Riff Raff's is relaunching, Toy is in the midst of a three-day party called Electric Playground, the Empire Room is adding a Bar Lunch menu, and so much more in today's Nightlife News Round Up!
[Photo: Michael Satsky via]
1. Provocateur co-owner Michael Satsky may be suiting up - for court. The co-owner of the Hotel Gansevoort nightclub is facing a lawsuit after two female employees waged a class action complaint. As the complaint - received this Wednesday, October 10 - details, the employees are seeking to recover "minimum wages, misappropriated tips, and other wages." So much for Satsky's statement that he "wanted to build a place that was comfortable for women."
2. Riff Raff's is relaunching this weekend as Riff Raff's 2.0 - and has double the size to show for it.
Get your face paint ready, because the tiki-themed nightclub is re-opening after a month of renovations - and has doubled in size. The venue, which now features an elevated second room, is celebrating Riff Raff's 2.0 this Saturday, October 13.
3. TOY is in the midst of a three-day party called Electric Playground. The event kicked off on Thursday night with DJ Claudius Raphael. Kyle Rayner is on deck as tonight's DJ and Hohme is set to spin on Saturday. [TOY]
[Photo: Toy via]
4. The Empire Room is introducing a Bar Lunch menu featuring classic American fare. The Empire State Building's ground floor cocktail lounge is now open for midday business. Starting at 11:30 AM daily, visitors can enjoy classic American fare at the Art Deco themed lounge. Among the menu's appetizers, sandwiches, salads, and more are The Yard Bird, The Empire Reuben, Chicken Parmigianina Panini, and Chopped Salad.
5. RSVP is opening a second location in Midtown West. Nightlife entrepreneur Jon B. - former owner of Greenhouse, Juliet Supper Club, and RSVP - is opening a second RSVP in Frederick's former space at 8 West 58th Street. Jon B. - formally known as John Bahkshi -filed for an on-premise liquor license last week. [NYMag]
6. Parisian bakery Maison Kayser has plans to open two new locations. After opening his first US bakery this summer on the Upper East Side, baker Eric Kayser is earning even more praise from NYC pastry lovers. Maison Kayser will be opening its second outpost this November in the Flatiron District and its third - located on 40th Street across from Bryant Park - in January. [Eater]
7. Carroll Gardens Mexican bistro Bar Bruno is launching a local taqueria. The Brooklyn bistro is opening a taqueria down the block from its Henry Street location. The new space, which opens on November 1, features a few tables and a bar for casual meals as well as a takeaway window. On the menu are Bar Bruno specialties such as deep-fried fish tacos; weekly specials including short rib chilorio and vermicelli tacos; and "funky tacos" from noon to 10 PM. [GrubStreet]
[Photo: Bar Bruno via]
Wednesday, May 22
We sat down with Anne Pasternak for a few questions about Creative Time's past and future, as well as the importance of having an awareness about public art in the city.