From the People's Choice Awards in Hollywood to the CES in Vegas, today is full of fun gadabouts and gadgets. Below that, and everything you need to know about Google's Honeycomb, Snooki's empire, and the Ouija game movie. Plus, loads more!
1. The Google Honeycomb. The Consumer Electronic Show is well under way in Las Vegas. And, the big winner of the morning goes to Google's version of the iPad. Its called the Honeycomb, it works on Android 3.0, and it has plenty of nerds drooling (not to mention average tablet fans).
"Android isn't about building a mobile platform." [Tightwind]
2. A new edition of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" replaces the 219 "n" words with "slave." Does one word change Huck Finn? [NYT]
3. Record Growth Plantable Paper LP's. Talk about a melody for your garden. These paper LP's look like old school records...until you open them. They are disks stuffed with seeds for herbs like basil and thyme, perfectly proportioned to fill your planter. [ModCloth]
4. No one is 100% sure what life beyond death feels like....but these days, we can be sure of what our cyberspace deaths do. The version of yourself that you have built with bits is sure to live on indefinitely. Or are they? The times takes a look at our digital immortality today. [NYT]
5. What were they thinking? Check out the fashion flops from last night's People's Choice Awards: [Thefablife]
Speaking of the awards last night, what was upppp with Jennifer Aniston last night?! [Gawker.tv]
6. Elizabeth Edwards left nothing to her ex husband, John Edwards, in her will. [Politico]
7. Vocab Lessons: Baseball Metaphors for Grown-Ups. I had no idea Chiara was into baseball on this level ha. [HowAboutWe]
8. Check out the best movie posters of 2010. [Gawker]
9. Tumblr is sending 20+ bloggers to NYC for Fashion Week. Why 20? [Fashionista]
10. How the Recession has changed us. Aka "economic disaster by the numbers." [Atlantic]
11. Snooki is building an empire. She is set to launch loads of new lines including fuzzy slippers, sparkly jewelry, sunglasses and more. She's also applied for trademarks on a number of terms and future potential brand names like "Snookalike," "Team Meatball" and "Snookin for Love." Never underestimate the power of the Snook. [NYP]
12. James Van Der Beek is out of role as an "Asshole for Hire" on Funny or Die:
13. America is set to face the coldest January in 25 years. Talk about something to not look forward to! [Gawker]
14. This week in Dead Animals. As delicately mapped on Google maps. This is heavy. [Joyengel]
15. The NYC Blizzard Cleanup (or lack thereof) is under federal investigation today. [NYT]
16. McG, the director of Charlie's Angels, is set to direct a movie based on the Ouija game for Universal. Plot details are kept under wraps although it's described as a four-quadrant supernatural adventure centering around a family, with influences from The Mummy and Indiana Jones. [VF]
17. Lost star Jorge Garcia reacts on his blog to the news that the six lottery numbers immortalized on the ABC show each won $150 in last night's Mega Millions drawing. [InOtherNews]
18. A professor was arrested on a plane for eating a "suspicious bagel." [Mediaite]
19. Fonts in Use. This new website from Nick Sherman, Stephen Coles and Sam Berlow profiles typefaces used all across the graphic design world, and goes into depth on how well the typefaces were used, where you could find them if you wanted to use them yourself, and, if they were badly chosen, where you could find suitable alternates. Awesome. [Commedesfuckdown]
20. The Happy Marriage is the "Me" Marriage. "In modern relationships, people are looking for a partnership, and they want partners who make their lives more interesting." Hmmm, interesting. [NYT]
21. This is a great list of Netflix Instant play recommendations. [InOtherNews]
22. This guy Greg proposed to his fiance on GroupOn! [Groupon]
23. Finally, I'm loving the Thursday Styles piece on DJ's Andrew and Andrew in the Times. Apparently they wouldn't let the reporter do the interview unless he referred to them only as "Andrew and Andrew" and never mentioned their last names. These guys are committed! Check out my night of dj'ing with the duo uptown (on iPads!) [NYT]
Well, that's all for me today. Do you have something that I should include in tomorrow's list? Email me: Rachelle@guestofaguest.com!
Sorry, comments are currently unavailable
Friday, December 6
Click through for some great insider tips from the \"Swoon\" master herself.