Yves Saint Laurent doesn't take Christian Louboutin's claim lightly; Justin Beiber's perfume campaign and commercial; Manolo Blahnik is modest; Joe Zee returns to TV; Louis Vuitton's new face; celebs collaborate with Uniqlo; a top secret shop at Top Shop; finger food; and so much more in today's Fashion Files!
1. Who's suing who now? Yves Saint Laurent vs. Louboutin. Christian Louboutin filed a law suit last month against YSL for trademark infringement because they OCCASIONALLY use red soles on their shoes. Now, Yves Saint Laurent is fighting back. [Racked]
"Court Papers filed in New York state: Red out-soles are a commonly used ornamental design feature in footwear, dating as far back as the red shoe worn by King Louis XIV in the 1600s and the ruby red show that carried Dorothy home in The Wizard of Oz."
"YSL also alleges that MR Louboutin was fraudulent in his trademark application claim that he had 'exclusive' use of the red sole."
2. Karl Lagerfeld, Lady Gaga, Gwyneth Paltrow, Victoria Beckham, Blake Lively, Nicole Kidman and Alber Elbaz design T-shirts for Uniqlo's fundraising efforts for the Japanese earthquake disaster. [Racked] [IMAGEvia]
3. Top Shop is launching a top secret pop up shop with boutique-collab items from Pamela Love, Nasir Mazhar, Meadham Kirchoff and Ann-Sofie Back on Thursday, May 26, right inside their store on Broadway. Find the secret door and you'll find the secret store. [Racked]
4. What would you wear if you were going to meet President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama today? Kate Middleton a.k.a The Duchess of Cambridge chose to wear a $340 Reiss "Shola" dress in camel. [MetroUK]
5. RIP Marie-Claire Pauwels. The editor for French magazine Madame Fiagaro has died of cancer at age 66. [WWD]
6. Manolo Blahnik admits he is still trying to reach success. [Fashionista]
"I'm still trying to make it," he said offhandedly at one moment
What we learned from his interview.
He's worked with the same Italian factories since the early '70s. He said there's a sense of continuity.
He's considering doing a collaboration with a mass retailer like Target. "I've been asked and I've always been too busy, but you never know, I would, maybe."
If Blahnik was coming up today, he'd certainly try to intern but... "Everybody's dead now. I would have wanted to intern with Yves Saint Laurent."
For those of who don't know what the show is about: he rescues designers who have found themselves at a make-or-break it moment in their careers.
8. SIXTEEN year old, Nayasha Matonhodze, from Northmapton replaces veteran supermodels as the new face of Louis Vuitton's autumn/winter 2011 Campaign. [Telegraph]
9. Three ways to make your bathing suit last forever: [MSNBC]
-Secret #1: Spend a bit of cash. Invest. Invest. Invest.
-Secret #2: Wash your suit right away.
-Secret #3: Buy for performance, not fashion.
And if all else fails, buy a ton of cheap bathing suits.
Here's a hint: look for a florist in the corner.
Isabeli Fontana June/July 2011
Linda Evangelista August 1990
In an interview for the Financial Times, Carine Roitfeld said:
"People always say, 'You look like Iggy Pop'."
12. Victoria Beckham booked a C-section at a Los Angeles hospital on July 4th in honor of her family's four years in America. David Beckham even short-listed the name Atlanta due to the hundred of thousand of air miles they've flown between the US and Britain. [NYPost]
14. ' Dove VisibleCare' ad is being called out for being racist. [Huffpo]
"Dove body wash turns Black women into Latino women into White women."- copyranter's takeaway
"Bye-bye black skin, hello white skin! (scrub hard)"-Jezebel
While a girl whose a little closer to his age stars in the commercial.