Japan finds strength through their famous style, Gwyneth Paltrow may be the face of Coach, Candice Bergen's daughter takes on Vogue position, Charlize Theron keeps time with Dior, MAC goes summer chic, McQueen gets honored, the original Birkin gets auctioned off and so much more!
1. Japan is regaining strength following the earthquake devastation through what they know best, fashion! As one Harajuku fashionista put it, “If anything, I’m dressing a little bit more to create joy for the country.” [NYT]
2. Candice Bergen's 25 year old daughter Chloe Malle is Vogue's new social editor. Chloe will be replacing Alexandra Kotur (who left the magazine for a position at Town and Country last month). [TheCut]
3. Charlize Theron talks Dior VIII watch collection and her new movie Young Adult (written by Diablo Cody) with Bazaar. Theron has been the face of the house's J'Adore perfume since 2004, and it is only fitting that she serve as the brand ambassador and face of their new watch line. [BazaarReport]
4. Vogue honors Alexander McQueen in a beautiful editorial. The editorial showcases the looks that can be seen on display in the Costume Institutes retrospective on McQueen that will be called "savage beauty" (launching at the Met Gala on May 4). [StyleCaster]
5. U.K. fashion line Jack Wills spring/summer 2011 lookbook comes in the form of a mini movie. "Summer Term" is a minute and a half of sunshine, high grass, bikes, boys, girls and summer fashion. What a great way to start those summer daydreams, we are almost there people! [Nylon]
6.Marchesa does Playboy. Designed by Keren Craig and Georgina Chapman, the bunny costume will celebrate the launch of a new Playboy Club in London. The costume will be auctioned to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness ahead of the club's opening in June. [ElleUK]
6. Fashion Meets Finance returns! Four years ago the fashion meets finance mixer started in New York city. The concept was simple take the male "lions" of finance and the "trophie" women of fashion and get them mingling for a night of drinks and mingling. The controversial event has been in the dark for the past year, but coming off some not so positive feedback they are changing things up and hoping for the best. [TheCut]
7. Jane Birkin auctioned off her original Birkin bag on eBay for $162,840! The proceeds went towards the earthquake relief efforts in Japan. [instyle]
8. Alexandra McGuinness’ debut feature film, “Lotus Eaters,” premieres at the Tribeca Film Festival Thursday, and the fashion is making just as much buzz as the performances [wwd]
9. MAC's new (surf-inspired) summer collection. This limited edition collection that will be around from May 26 through July 7, and has it all for the perfect light summer look. [fashionista]
Wednesday, June 19
We sat down with Anne Pasternak for a few questions about Creative Time's past and future, as well as the importance of having an awareness about public art in the city.