Memorial Day is finally here, and with it comes BBQ’s, bikinis and bags – bags of luggage that is. As the humidity peaks in NYC and “summer Fridays” kick in, weekends send city dwellers racing towards the beach. Whether you’re headed to the Hampton’s, the Jersey Shore or the Adirondacks - packing can be a daunting task. We're here to help!
Over packing can weigh you down while under packing can leave you stranded with nothing to wear. But before you let your stress keep you at home – check out my travel tips to getting it just right.
1. Plan Ahead: Rather than bringing a bunch of separate items and trying to make a look happen once you’re away; plan your full outfits – from the shoes to the accessories - before you leave the house.
2. Coordinate Your Colors: Try to choose pieces with a similar color scheme and vibe, so that you can mix and match for added flexibility without any added items to pack.
3. Light on Your Feet: Shoes are one of the largest and heaviest items to bring. When packing footwear, go for styles that will work for several occasions. Generally, a neutral colored wedge heel and a flat embellished sandal will work for most summer weekends.
4. Load Up on Jewelry: Jewelry takes up less room in your bag than clothing, and can transform an outfit in a snap. Start with simple dainty gold jewelry for daytime, and throw in some statement pieces to transition into cocktail hour and dressier occasions.
5. Count Your Travel Outfit: Whatever you wear to travel is an extension of what you’re bringing on the trip. Whether it’s a chunky cardigan to protect you from an ocean breeze, or an oversized necklace to jazz up a sundress - use your body to carry things that you would want to wear during the weekend.
Now hop on that Jitney (train, rental car, whatever…) with confidence, and without your body weight in baggage. And don’t forget your sunscreen!
Bottega Veneta Brick intrecciato leather weekend bag $3,950 - net-a-porter.com
L-Atitude: Ibiza Straw Tote $45 - shoplatitude.com
JCrew Stripe farmer's market tote $50 - jcrew.com
Juicy Couture Cosmetic Pouch $58 - revolveclothing.com
Tiffany & Co. Jewelry Roll $250 - tiffany.com
Mismo Supply Bag $140 - openingceremony.us
Kate Spade Larabee Dot Kay Makeup Case $44 - zappos.com
Steven Alan Carla Straw fedora $135 - net-a-porter.com
Topshop Natural Straw Plaited Trilby $44 - topshop.com
L-Atitude: Article 22 Paris Shopper $135 - shoplatitude.com
T by Alexander Wang Neutral Maxi Dress $175 - editnewyork.com
Dorothy Perkins Floral Maxi Dress $45 - dorothyperkins.com
Steven Alan Boyfriend Shirt $168 $118 - lagarconne.com
American Eagle Boyfit Slouchy Jean $50 $25 - ae.com
JCrew Chino Short $43 $33 - jcrew.com
Lanvin Wedge Sandals $1,115 - mytheresa.com
Hibiscus Beaded Cuff Sandals $56 - topshop.com
Tinley Road Metal Feather Earring $18 - piperlime.gap.com
Kenneth Jay Lane Cuff Bracelet $160 - stefanibags.com
Zwi Cuff Bracelet $288 - dannijo.com
H&M Ring $6.43 - hm.com
Coral Bib Medallion Necklace $48 - simplysoles.com
Akong Chain Harness $460 - kabiri.co.uk
Tan Leather Wide Double Buckle Belt $70 - topshop.com