- He was born on August 3, 1984.
- Born in Canandaigua, NY, but moved to Daytona Beach, FL so that his father could coach swimming.
- Graduated from Spruce Creek High School in 2002.
- Graduated from the University of Florida in 2007 with a degree in Sports Managment.
- Has two sisters and two brothers.
- Started taking swimming lessons at the age of 5 with his father, but did not get really serious about the sport until he was 14.
- He has also played soccer, lacrosse, and basketball.
- While training for the olympics, he swims 24 hours a week- about 70,000 meters. He also weight trains for 6 hours each week, and completes a 2 hour workout to improve his core strength.
- He has sponsorship deals with Speedo, USA Swimming, Gatorade, Mutual of Omaha, Gillette, Procter & Gamble, Ralph Lauren, AT&T, and Nissan.
- He is involved with several charities including the National Parkinson Foundation, the Mac Crutchfield Fund, and Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy.